What Is TES?

Optimal energy management is imperative in today’s environment where there is a growing need to be eco-friendly and where energy costs run high. The Cristopia TES system serves this very purpose as it applies the concept of energy storage to all types of air-conditioning, refrigeration, and low-grade heating requirements, thereby enabling efficient Energy Management.

The TES is particularly well-adapted to industrial, commercial and residential air-conditioning and refrigeration requirements. Commonly used to supplement energy requirements for peak plant operational hours, the TES can also be utilised as an ideal backup system as it provides non-stop cooling during frequent power outages.

The TES system supports all types of cyclic loads, and shifts the generation of ‘cooling’ or ‘heating’ energy to periods when the plant would otherwise be shut down, or when energy costs are lower. This energy can later be used to supplement energy requirements during peak hours or can serve as a backup during a power failure.

The TES can help lower operating costs (higher operating efficiencies = lower energy costs), as well as lower initial Capital Costs (plant design for running, rather than peak load). It is a flexible and reliable solution for a variety of air-conditioning and refrigeration requirements. By smoothing out the production of cooling energy, the TES gives you the power to optimise the use of electrical resources, and also protects the environment.

How It Helps

Reduces Capital Costs & More…

Reduces Capital CostsTraditional air-conditioning systems operate during the day to meet the cooling demands, and remain idle at night. Industrial refrigeration systems provide cooling for many applications, many of which require high cooling capacities only for short periods, corresponding to production cycles. High Capital Cost and high capacity chillers are then selected to satisfy the maximum demand, which occurs only for a few hours per year, and thus spend the majority of their operational life at reduced capacity and low efficiency. Using stored energy, the TES supports the peak cooling demand, enabling a significant reduction in installed chiller capacity (up to 70%), thus allowing the usage of lower cost and capacity chillers.

Lowers Operational Costs & More…

Lowers Operational CostsThe TES system helps lower Operational Costs by enabling the shifting of energy consumption of chillers from high cost hours to low cost hours by utilising stored energy during high cost periods and storing ‘cooling’ energy by running the chiller during low cost hours. Further, as lower capacity chillers may be used, the chiller can run at optimal capacity thereby raising its efficiency level.

Efficient Backup Energy Source

Efficient Backup Energy SourceMost industrial air-conditioning and refrigeration systems require some form of standby, or backup facility to protect against system failures and lost production time, which can prove to be extremely costly. The TES is an ideal and efficient solution for these applications. The TES offers rapid response backup in the form of an independent, static technology solution which ensures the highest degree of reliability. In times of uncertain power availability, the TES system can provide non-stop cooling, even without grid power.

How It Works

The TES is composed of a tank(s) filled with nodules (balls) and heat transfer fluid. Approximately 60% of the volume of the tank is occupied by the nodules and the remaining 40% is fluid. The heat transfer fluid is usually Mono-Ethylene Glycol. Other solutions such as Mono-Propylene Glycol or Calcium Chloride may also be used. The number of nodules in a system determines both the heat exchange rate between the nodules and the heat transfer fluid, and also the total energy stored in the TES.

The system can operate in Total Storage Mode, in which the accumulated energy replaces plant output entirely, to provide for all the consumption during peak demand or electricity failure periods. Alternatively, in Partial Storage Mode the release of stored energy combines with operation of the plant to meet both the Total Consumption and the Peak Instantaneous Demand.

Download Brochure